Sunday, October 14, 2007

Going to Church, on my own


Tonight I went to church for the first times since I can’t even remember. However, this time was different. I wasn’t dragged with my parents, I went on my own. I’d been having a really stressful week, and my roommates asked if I wanted to join them at church. I reluctantly said yes as I hadn’t even started my homework yet. But, when I got there I felt really at peace, and knew that it was where I was supposed to be. School gets so crazy sometimes that its hard to set out a time during the week to just relax. While church may not be relaxing to some people, I found it to be just that tonight.

I was really surprised at how many students were there on their own. And it wasn’t just that their bodies were there, their minds too. They were actively listening, and singing along. It’s one thing to just go to church, but to actively go, and participate brings new meaning. When I was growing up church was always something I was forced to go to with my family, and I dragged my feet each step of the way. It was really nice to see other students like me at church on their own free will. It’s comforting to know that however stressful the week may be, there’s always 5:00 mass on Sundays to look forward to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post made me want to start gong to church again. I think going all alone would be best, so it could be just a meditative event, not social. We all get so stressed and involved with the demands of this moment that we don't put things into a bigger picture, and church can offer us that bigger picture.