Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ellen Trumps Oprah



Daytime talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres has surpassed rival Oprah Winfrey as favorite day time talk show host. According to a poll done by AOL.com, with more than 1.3 million votes cast, Ellen won 46% of the vote with Oprah only winning 19%.

This was a big shock to AOL because Oprah has been a long standing favorite, and even considered the Queen of daytime. No more! Ellen has been working in the industry just as long as Oprah, and I think it's her time to shine. I tivo both The Ellen Show, and The Oprah Show, and I find myself watching Ellen more times than Oprah. Ellen is hilarious, and always does interesting things on her show. For example, she has elements to her show that she does every day. She starts each show dancing in the aisles, which always excites the audience. Also, she is a hilarious dancer which makes it fun. She also shows the top YouTube videos that people are watching, and they are usually hilarious.

However, I can't completely diss Oprah. I'm always blown away with how much Oprah gives back to the community through her Oprah and Angel Foundations. She built an entire school in South Africa, and has been a huge help in the Katrina Relief. But, so has Ellen. They are both pretty equal in their philanthropy. But, Ellen doesn't focus on sad topics for her show. She almost always has a celebrity on her show, and you know that you will get a good laugh when you watch. Oprah tends to have more serious topics, sometimes limiting her audience age.

I say "Go Ellen!" right now as I truly believe she deserves to be number one. I still love Oprah, but am a little burned out. Do you think the poll was right, or should Oprah still be number 1?

2 comments:

smustang said...

just because it is a more serious topic, doesnt mean that it has to be for an older age group. i agree that ellen is easier to relate to, and is more uplifting than oprah at times. but is ellen high on the poll because she is only focusing on the positive and is relating to modern technologies (such as youtube)? there are so many atrocities going on in our world, some form of light needs to be shed on them. and because not enough light is being shed on the topics, students believe that its not their age group topic of discussions.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.