Sunday, September 23, 2007

Early Adoption: A good or bad thing?


If your anything like me, you’re dying to get an iPhone- if you don’t already have one. Unfortunately for me, my cell phone carrier doesn’t support the iPhone. While I was upset at first, I knew that Apple would release something similar or market the iPhone to other cell phone carriers. And, true to Apple form, they have released a similar product to the iPhone: The iPod touch.

I’ve always been one to buy new technology before anyone else. I love trying out new products, and nowadays with technology booming, it’s hard to resist. I bought the first generation iPod before people really knew what they were. And now with millions sold each year, I feel proud that I was one of the first people to buy one. But, like most early forms of technology, there are problems. While I love my iPod, I can’t even count how many replacements I’ve had. Just from the hard drive freaking out and crashing, or the screen freezing. While Apple gladly replaces them, each time it breaks I find myself saying, “That’s it, I’m done with iPods!” but then I realize how amazing it is when it does work.

This leads me to the iPod touch. I’m dying to get one. It has everything I want from the iPhone, just not the phone. It’s even thinner than the iPhone too! I’ve been doing research on the Touch, and after much consideration I’ve decided to wait. This is rare for me. I usually buy new products impulsively, but I’ve not read many great reviews. And, i’m almost completely convinced there will be flaws in the first models of the touch, and just like the iPhone, the Touch will go down in price by at least $100. While the Touch does boast a new, very exciting feature: Wireless iTunes music store, I’m not completely sold on the whole concept yet.

So is it really better to buy early so you can be one of the first owners, or to wait, read the reviews and wait for a price slash?

No comments: